- Register Now: Basic Life Support, BLS for Healthcare Providers
- Learn QuickBooks Pro 2015, Class Starts Feb. 8, 2017
- Learn Microsoft Office 2016 Applications: Word, Excel and Access
- Workforce Development News – January 17, 2017
- Do You Value Your Employees?
- Apply Now for Boeing Pre-Employment Assembly Mechanic Training Starting Feb. 6 and Feb. 27
- Phlebotomy Program Starts February 28, 2017, Register Now!
- Workforce Development News – January 9, 2017
- Learn Digital Photography Camera Skills and Techniques
- Apply Now: No-Cost Environmental Job Training Program Starts February 27, 2017
Phlebotomy Program Starts February 28, 2017, Register Now!
This noncredit program prepares the student for entry level employment as a phlebotomist. The course provides classroom, lab instruction and clinical experience. Class meets two times a week (Tuesday and Thursday, 4 p.m. to 7 p.m.) for eight weeks (February 28 through April 27, no class March 14 and 16); each class session is three hours in length. The 100 hours of clinical experience is in addition to scheduled class time. Strict attendance policy enforced throughout this training.
AHCE:785 | $805
Tuesdays & Thursdays,
February 28 through April 27
4 p.m.-7 p.m.
Instructor: Joann Devine
Forest Park – B Tower 417
- Basic anatomy pertinent to blood collection
- Communication skills
- Specimen processing
- Related interdisciplinary tasks
- Lab experience of blood drawing techniques
- Practical experience of blood drawing techniques in the clinical setting
Prerequisites required at time of registration
- Student must be 18 years of age
- High school diploma or High School Equivalency
- Achieves a minimum score of 8.9 on both Vocabulary and Comprehension tests and a minimum score of 7.0 Mathematics Concepts and Application on the Tests of Adult Basic Education (TABE)
- Family Care Safety Registry-Worker Registration letter. The letter cannot be older than 6 months. You must bring the letter from DHSS not proof of payment. Register online at http://health.mo.gov/safety/fcsr/
Requirements completed by first week of class
- American Databank criminal background check and 5 panel drug screen
- Physical exam/immunizations/Two-step PPD/Hepatitis B immunization series or signed waiver
- AHA BLS Healthcare Provider CPR certification
Expenses the phlebotomy student will incur but not limited to:
- Fee is $805
- Text required and not included in fee. Text will be available in Forest Park campus bookstore.
- TABE Test is $11. Retest is additional $11.
- Family Care Safety Registry is $13 plus processing fee.
- American Databank criminal background check cost is variable.
- 5 Panel Drug Screen is $30.
- Physical Exam/immunizations/Two-step PPD/Hepatitis B Immunization series cost is variable.
- AHA BLS Healthcare Provider CPR certification is $75 (cost at St. Louis Community College).
- Lab coat (Full length with cuffs, fluid resistant). Disposable lab coats are available for purchase in campus bookstore.
- One box of Nitrile Gloves (Non-Sterile).
- One large (2 gallon) “Ziploc baggie.”
- Protective/safety eyeglasses are available for purchase in campus bookstore.
- Class room supplies, including a Markal Sharpie (Black) “Water Resistant.”
- Some clinical sites require the student to have health insurance.
Clinical and Field Work
Some degree and certificate programs offered by the college require students to obtain clinical or other field experience as part of their course work. Students with criminal convictions or drug use may have difficulty progressing in these programs. Hospitals and facilities may mandate that a criminal background check and/or drug screening check (at the student’s expense) may be conducted prior to placement in a clinical or field setting. Students not passing these checks may be prohibited from participating in the clinical or field experience thus rendering the student ineligible to satisfactorily meet the course/program requirements.
How to Register for Phlebotomy
Registration for this class is in person only at the Forest Park campus, Student Center-125.
- Complete the registration form and bring with you to the Forest Park Campus, Student Center-125.
- Proof of Age (must be at least 18 years of age).
- Bring ALL prerequisites required at time of registration (see above).
- Payment is due at the time of registration.
Contact Diane Sterett at 314-539-5754 with any additional questions.
Contact us at 314-984-7777 for registration information.