- Corporate College Announces Summer 2017 Classes
- CDL-A Commercial Truck Driver Training Starts May 22 & May 31. Apply Now!
- Summer 2017 Professional Development Classes
- Register Now for Nurse Assistant Training for Nursing Homes, Classes Start June 6
- Apply Now! No-Cost CDL-B Commercial Truck Driver Training, Classes Start May 8 & May 22
- Workforce Development News – April 24, 2017
- Caregiving at Home Special Edition, May 3, Enroll Now – Only $15
- The Power of Corporate Myths
- Workforce Development News – April 17, 2017
- Patient Care Technicians are in demand! Apply now for the July class.
STLCC Partnership Helps Hydromat Win “World Class Manufacturing” Award
For over 35 years, Hydromat has been building machine tools that are unmatched in precision and quality, Since its inception, Hydromat has been committed to the creation of innovative and unique customer-driven manufacturing solutions, providing its customers with unsurpassed quality and reliability.
Realizing that excellence is a journey and not a destination, in June 2011 Hydromat partnered with the Corporate Services Group of St. Louis Community College’s Workforce Solutions Group to accelerate their drive toward the highest degrees of product quality and customer services. To achieve this, and with the guidance of Corporate Services Group Lean consultants, they launched a tightly focused, intensive drive to develop a strong and lasting culture of continuous improvement, using the methodologies of Lean manufacturing.
As a first step in their launch of lean methodologies, their CEO, Bruno Schmitter, sent a memo to all employees in which he stated, “We have continuously benefited from the creativity of our teammates in improving product quality. Now we need your best thoughts and observations on steps that should be taken to make our organization more productive.”
Hydromat’s first step in launching Lean was conducting a “Lean Deployment Survey,” asking all employees for their ideas on how to improve their operations. Based on this survey, as well as one-on-one interviews with managers and supervisors, the Corporate Services Group developed a comprehensive Lean deployment plan that included the following:
- Implementation of the 5S System, a Lean tool used to eliminate all forms of waste in work environments.
- Launching of the Idea Board, an elegantly simple and powerful tool to drive high degrees of employee engagement in work process improvements.
- Enrollment of all managers and supervisors in the College’s widely acclaimed Lean Leadership Certification program, a series of ten seminars focused on giving Hydromat’s leadership team the skills and knowledge needed to serve as highly effective coaches in a Lean manufacturing environment.
Hydromat’s position as an industry leader was built on a culture of continuous improvement. Hydromat has never rested on its laurels. Through the continuing application of the thinking processes and tools of Lean manufacturing they are accelerating their drive toward industry dominance.
Hydromat’s unrelenting drive toward higher and higher degrees of excellence was recognized by the Missouri Association of Manufacturers at their recent “Made in Missouri Leadership Awards & Appreciation Event” held in St. Louis on October 2nd. Hydromat was recognized by the association as Missouri’s “World Class Manufacturer” of the year. A designation richly deserved.