- Informal Networking
- Workforce Development News – March 20, 2017
- Prepare to work as a Medical Assistant. Enrollment is open now!
- Workforce Development News – March 13, 2017
- No-Fee CDL-B Commercial Truck Driver Training Starts April 3, 2017. Apply Today!
- Explore Nature, Ecology and Horticulture – Become a Master Naturalist
- Patient Care Technicians are in demand! Apply today for the April class.
- Workforce Development News – March 6, 2017
- Learn Microsoft Access 2016
- Enroll Now for Heartsaver CPR AED and First Aid CPR AED Classes
The Need for STEM Talent
St. Louis on the Air-Steve Long, STLCC discusses the need for STEM jobs and job candidates in St. Louis.
A recent episode of St. Louis on the Air with Don Marsh featured Steve Long, associate vice chancellor for workforce solutions, who discussed the results of the recently released State of St. Louis STEM Workforce report. The full interview is at http://news.stlpublicradio.org/post/st-louis-employers-seeking-stem-talent.
Research results on the show by Long included:
“Although the economy continues to recover, and we’ve recovered both nationally and locally in terms of our unemployment rates and by a number of other measures of job openings to unemployed individuals, there still are some underlying issues or skill gaps in the economy,” said Steve Long, associate vice chancellor of St. Louis Community College’s Workforce Solutions Group. “Employers are increasingly in need of skilled workers, and there’s a shortage of skilled workers.”
This year’s report focused on STEM jobs and the projected growth of STEM occupations. In St. Louis, STEM occupations are expected to grow 12.4 percent; the average STEM occupation salary is $79,290 per year.
The report is a report to the community, but also is a report to (St. Louis) Community College to help us guide what we do,” Long said. “We’re going to work with our K-12 partners and career pathways to really engage students with science and technology.”