- CDL-A Commercial Truck Driver Training Starts May 22 & May 31. Apply Now!
- Summer 2017 Professional Development Classes
- Register Now for Nurse Assistant Training for Nursing Homes, Classes Start June 6
- Apply Now! No-Cost CDL-B Commercial Truck Driver Training, Classes Start May 8 & May 22
- Workforce Development News – April 24, 2017
- Caregiving at Home Special Edition, May 3, Enroll Now – Only $15
- The Power of Corporate Myths
- Workforce Development News – April 17, 2017
- Patient Care Technicians are in demand! Apply now for the July class.
- Continuing Education Summer 2017 Catalog
The Need for STEM Talent
St. Louis on the Air-Steve Long, STLCC discusses the need for STEM jobs and job candidates in St. Louis.
A recent episode of St. Louis on the Air with Don Marsh featured Steve Long, associate vice chancellor for workforce solutions, who discussed the results of the recently released State of St. Louis STEM Workforce report. The full interview is at http://news.stlpublicradio.org/post/st-louis-employers-seeking-stem-talent.
Research results on the show by Long included:
“Although the economy continues to recover, and we’ve recovered both nationally and locally in terms of our unemployment rates and by a number of other measures of job openings to unemployed individuals, there still are some underlying issues or skill gaps in the economy,” said Steve Long, associate vice chancellor of St. Louis Community College’s Workforce Solutions Group. “Employers are increasingly in need of skilled workers, and there’s a shortage of skilled workers.”
This year’s report focused on STEM jobs and the projected growth of STEM occupations. In St. Louis, STEM occupations are expected to grow 12.4 percent; the average STEM occupation salary is $79,290 per year.
The report is a report to the community, but also is a report to (St. Louis) Community College to help us guide what we do,” Long said. “We’re going to work with our K-12 partners and career pathways to really engage students with science and technology.”