- Informal Networking
- Workforce Development News – March 20, 2017
- Prepare to work as a Medical Assistant. Enrollment is open now!
- Workforce Development News – March 13, 2017
- No-Fee CDL-B Commercial Truck Driver Training Starts April 3, 2017. Apply Today!
- Explore Nature, Ecology and Horticulture – Become a Master Naturalist
- Patient Care Technicians are in demand! Apply today for the April class.
- Workforce Development News – March 6, 2017
- Learn Microsoft Access 2016
- Enroll Now for Heartsaver CPR AED and First Aid CPR AED Classes
2014 State of St. Louis STEM Workforce Report
As Associate Vice Chancellor for Workforce Solutions for St. Louis Community College, I recognize that St. Louis Community College is in a unique position to help our region meet some of our most persistent economic challenges.
This morning St. Louis Community College unveiled the findings of our sixth annual “State of St. Louis Workforce Report.” Since the inaugural report in 2009, it has provided valuable insight into the issues faced by St. Louis employers searching for qualified applicants. This year’s report focuses on STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics). It tells an important story about how important STEM jobs are to our regional economy and the challenges employers face in recruiting STEM workers. It provides evidence of a continuing economic recovery but one that may be challenged by a shortage of workers with knowledge and skills. It reveals that soft skills were still the major shortcoming of job applicants and that a lack of qualified graduates in various disciplines was the most cited reason for skill shortages.
The report may be downloaded at www.stlcc.edu/STLworkforce.
Today we began an important discussion about how businesses in our region are finding ways to fill their open positions and overcome the skills gap. To those who attended our event at our Forest Park Campus, thank you for being part of the conversation!
I would greatly appreciate your help in continuing this conversation in the community, specifically in your circles of influence. If you see fit, please share the report with your personal and professional networks, or take part in the ongoing discussion about workforce training online at our blog and news site http://workforcesolutions.stlcc.edu/.