Workforce Development News – Oct. 7, 2013

By on October 7, 2013
What Interviewers Wish They Could Tell Job-Seekers

A weekly collection of interesting, insightful, and innovative articles on workforce development, employment and training, business performance improvement, leadership, higher education, and the economy.

Subscribe to our blog
The Workforce Solutions Group of St. Louis Community College leverages education for growth in the knowledge economy by offering programs and services designed to advance people, businesses and communities. We are located at the Corporate College, a state of the art facility solely dedicated to corporate education and professional development.
Find out more …
text

21 Ways to Be a Better Leader Without Breaking a Sweat

“It’s not rocket science. Being a better leader starts with the little things.”
http://www.inc.com/les-mckeown/21-ways-to-be-a-better-leader-without-breaking-a-sweat.html

What Interviewers Wish They Could Tell Job-Seekers

“The workplace version of a first date, a job interview brims with nervous energy and expectations, but as with a first date, both parties hope it’ll be just wonderful. This might help.”
http://www.ragan.com/Main/Articles/47362.aspx

Keep Your Name Off That Layoff List

“Only 23% of those who were laid off had been given a negative review the previous year. The implication is that the other 77% who were asked to leave had no clue this was coming. We were able to identify six factors that should have raised red flags. Everyone who’d been laid off shared at least two of the following:”
http://blogs.hbr.org/2013/10/keep-your-name-off-that-layoff-list/

8 Tips for Empowering Employees

“If it were easy to empower employees, everyone would do it. Help your people step up and happily help grow your company.”
http://www.inc.com/kevin-daum/8-tips-for-empowering-employees.html

If You Want Innovation, You Have to Invest in People

“Before counting on any innovation offering from a vendor to change their fortunes, managers should invest in two kinds of education.”
http://blogs.hbr.org/2013/10/if-you-want-innovation-invest-in-people/

A Very Simple Reason Employee Engagement Programs Don’t Work

“Most so-called employee engagement programs are misbegotten, unwieldy, ineffective rolling caravans of impractical or never-going-to-be-implemented PowerPoint presentations.”
http://www.inc.com/les-mckeown/stop-employee-engagement-and-address-the-real-problem-.html

When Hiring, Know More, Guess Less

“Finding new workers is complicated. Follow these five tips to mitigate the risk of a bad hire.”
http://talentmgt.com/articles/view/when-hiring-know-more-guess-less/

The Top 10 Lies People Put on Their Résumés

“More than half of résumés contain lies, and while there’s no limit to what job applicants can lie about on their résumés, here’s the list of the top 10 lies.”
http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/outside-voices-careers/2013/10/03/the-top-10-lies-people-put-on-their-resumes

7 Things Really Amazing Communicators Do

“Want to be successful? You have to communicate effectively.”
http://www.inc.com/kevin-daum/7-things-really-amazing-communicators-do.html

20 Facts from Pew Research Center

“Here, in no particular order, is a list of some of our most popular content on social media from reports released in 2013.”
http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2013/10/03/20-facts-from-pew-research-center/

Timelapse Video: Elemental Iceland by Stian Rekdal

The majesty and beauty of Iceland in 40,000 photos shot in September 2013. (Vimeo, 2:41).
http://vimeo.com/75646917

If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more, and become more, you are a leader.” – John Quincy Adams

About Richard Schumacher

Richard Schumacher is the technology manager for the Workforce Solutions Group of St. Louis Community College. He connects, designs, and applies technology to meet business user needs with eLearning, training, web content, instructional design, IT system, and performance improvement solutions. Richard is a Microsoft Certified Trainer (MCT) and has held Microsoft Certifications since 1993. Learn more about Richard by following him: LinkedIn - Twitter - Google+ - Articles - Email

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *