- Corporate College Announces Summer 2017 Classes
- CDL-A Commercial Truck Driver Training Starts May 22 & May 31. Apply Now!
- Summer 2017 Professional Development Classes
- Register Now for Nurse Assistant Training for Nursing Homes, Classes Start June 6
- Apply Now! No-Cost CDL-B Commercial Truck Driver Training, Classes Start May 8 & May 22
- Workforce Development News – April 24, 2017
- Caregiving at Home Special Edition, May 3, Enroll Now – Only $15
- The Power of Corporate Myths
- Workforce Development News – April 17, 2017
- Patient Care Technicians are in demand! Apply now for the July class.
2013 State of St. Louis Workforce Report
As Vice Chancellor for Economic Development and Workforce Solutions for St. Louis Community College, I recognize that St. Louis Community College is in a unique position to help our region meet some of our most persistent economic challenges.
This morning St. Louis Community College unveiled the findings of our fifth annual “State of St. Louis Workforce Report.” Since the inaugural report in 2009, it has provided valuable insight into the issues faced by St. Louis employers searching for “work-ready” applicants. This year’s report tells the story of an improving economy and an increase in employer optimism, but with a continued bias towards caution. It informs us that there is a very competitive labor market with a premium on knowledge workers. It reveals that soft skills were still the major shortcoming of job applicants and that a lack of qualified graduates in various disciplines was the most cited reason for skill shortages.
The report may be downloaded at www.stlcc.edu/STLworkforce.
Today we began an important discussion about how businesses in our region are finding ways to fill their open positions and overcome the skills gap. To those who attended our event at the Missouri Botanical Garden, thank you for being part of the conversation!
I would greatly appreciate your help in continuing this conversation in the community, specifically in your circles of influence. If you see fit, please share the report with your personal and professional networks, or take part in the ongoing discussion about workforce training online at our blog and news site http://workforcesolutions.stlcc.edu/.